NaturallyCurly.com is a great resource for everyone who has, or wants, curly hair. Here are a few things we learned from perusing the sites:
1. Silkening is a mild lye-based chemical (sodium hydroxide) or perm that is put on hair for 5-9 minutes to loosen the curl.
2. People are still getting perms I guess, because there is terminology for cutting off a perm. It is called the 'big chop.' I can recall a few big chops by my sister in the mid-1990s
3. “No poo” means no shampoo. It’s a term coined by Lorraine Massey, author of “Curly Girl: The Handbook.” Details on 'no poo' can be found in this article.
4. NaturallyCurly.com has a celebrity sections with details on styling your hair like Rihanna, Kate Walsh, Thalia and even Howard Stern. Details on curly celebrity hair.
5. CurlPix allows you to send in pix of your curly hair or check out other pix, including more celebr photos.